Treatment of diseases of the lacrimal apparatus
Tearing, as a rule, it is a response to an objective irritation: emotional distress, pungent smells and smokes; however, sometimes you can be faced with pathological "wet" eye for no apparent reason.
Watery eyes can be caused by:
- Excessive production of tears as a result of irritation or inflammation (can be successfully treated conservatively).
- Disorder of the outflow of tears, which can be either transient (as a result of tissue edema, inflammation) and permanent (disorder of the anatomical relations of structures leads to functional failure of the lacrimal system, and blockage of the drainage system to the physical obstruction); It requires both conservative and surgical therapy.
Lacrimal apparatus of the human eye is represented by:
- Lacrimal points. They are in the inner corners of the eyelids and serve as a "gateway" for passing tears on their upper and lower edge.
- Lacrimal ducts. After combining the upper and lower tubule are finishing with biological valve, tear-permeable only in the direction "off the eye."
- Lacrimal sac. It serves as a reservoir for the tears coming from his eyes.
- Nasolacrimal canal Associates the lacrimal sac and the nasal cavity, where a tear eventually flows away .
In diagnosing diseases of lachrymal passage is necessary to pay attention to:
- The anatomy of the eyelids (as a result of changing the shape of the edges of eyelids contact with the lacrimal points of the conjunctiva of the eye can be broken).
- Characteristics of eyelid movement (patients with impaired lower eyelid the blocking of lacrimal points can occur with normally functioning upper one).
- State of lacrimal points (may be inflamed, clogged by discharged or eyelashes in children - underdeveloped).
- The state of the lacrimal sac (pain may indicate on inflammatory process and blockage).
- Functional status (tests with dyes are carried out to determine the drainage function of the lacrimal apparatus).
Our professionals possess a wide range of techniques to restore the normal function of the lacrimal apparatus and eliminating abnormal lacrimation:
- correction of the eyelids (blepharoplasty) in order to restore the anatomic location of lacrimal points;
- plastics of lacrimal points and canaliculi;
- intubation and lavage of the lacrimal sac and nasolacrimal duct;
- Formation of anastomoses between impassable areas of tubules and lacrimal bag.
- Forming an anastomosis between lacrimal bag and nasal cavity - unrecoverable obstruction in the nasolacrimal canal.
It is also possible the implementation of obturation of lacrimal points with silicone occluder as an integrated treatment of dry eye syndrome.
Surgical treatment of diseases of the lacrimal system is performed in a hospital. In addition to specific diagnostic techniques it is necessary to conduct a number of general examinations: blood (general analysis, biochemical analysis, sugar, clotting, RW, HIV, viral hepatitis), urine (overall analysis), a smear in conjunctival cavity and nasal cavity (the definition of an infectious agent), X-ray of paranasal sinuses; Consultation of ENT doctor.
All the above mentioned research, analysis and consultations can be taken in place for 1-2 days.
It is important to remember that any surgical treatment is possible only after complete removal of infectious and inflammatory conditions!